I have never been someone whose okay with the idea of being a one of those one hit (or one season) wonder. I want to be someone who isn’t just strong for a season but someone who has deep roots for all eternity.
To be someone whose strength is a foundation so strong that it allows others to build on and create future legacies. I want my roots to go deep. This means that I have to be willing to invest time and energy into my personal growth.
Lately, the theme of my life has been figuring out how to strengthen myself and check my personal vitals. It sounds weird that at 25 years old I am just not learning how to be aware of my emotions and feelings at all times. But it’s not something thats normally taught in our society. Most people don’t check their emotional vitals until they are spiraling downward. We don’t teach people how to help themselves before they need it.
I think being aware of how you are doing internally is super important. Theres a nice balance between becoming too intro-spective and not intro-spective enough but once you find that balance I think it helps you create a healthier life.
Most people don’t practically know what this looks like so we don’t even attempt it at all. The past few months I’ve figured out some practical steps that might help you check your vitals. I hope they help
- Check yourself before you wreck yourself: For me it’s becoming a routine for me to every morning check my emotional vitals if you will. If they are funky I figure out what the problem is and how it can be fixed.
- Take it to the Lord: Obviously, most of the time the problem can be fixed by taking whatever it is to the Lord and asking him about it.
- Keep a journal: after that I read verses about the problem it and JOURNAL it all out. It makes your day so much better.
- What type of processor are you: Learning if you are a external or internal processor is super important. If you are verbal you need to find someone that you can safely process with. Make sure you aren’t word vomiting on people all the time though. Maybe seek a safe counselor. Journalling everything will also help. If you are an internal processor make sure that you take time out of your schedule to be alone, to think and process things. Journaling will also help you think things through also.
- Feed yourself: It’s so important to be filling yourself up daily with things that encourage and uplift you. Listen to worship music (or music that makes you happy), listen to inspiring podcast or have good conversations with positive people.
If you want to be a strong tree you need to plant yourself by a powerful water source.
These are just some of the steps that I’ve found really help me be more successful and last longer in the process of becoming a better person. I hope they help you!!!!!
Speaking of plants—heres some green for you: